Joie de Vivre: Yoga Retreat in Southwest France
with Savonn Wyland and Kari Kemper
SOLD OUT: please email email@example.com to be added to the waitlist
October 19-26, 2019
Experience the Dordogne region of France by joining us for our 7 night/ 8 day yoga retreat at Chateau de Bardouly. A 17th-century country estate in Southwest France, Chateau de Bardouly is outside the city of Bergerac which is located between the larger cities of Bordeaux and Toulouse. Our week will be full of inspiring yoga, lots of outdoors and/or cultural activities, famous wine and delicious food.
Twice-daily yoga classes taught by Savonn and Kari. Bardouly has a professionally designed indoor studio and outdoor platform for our practice, and provides high quality mats, blankets, blocks, straps and wheels.
Three daily meals created by a professionally trained French chef with 20 years of experience. These fresh and healthy meals are bio-dynamic farm to table with vegan, vegetarian, gluten and dairy-free options available.
An evening of wine tasting with a local Sommelier at Chateau de Bardouly. At this event you will have the opportunity to purchase wine to consume during your stay at the retreat, allowing each attendee to enjoy the varietals they desire.
Luxurious lodging. Each room includes high thread-count Egyptian cotton linens, robe and slippers, clock, wireless speaker, armoire, chest of drawers, writing desk and comfy chairs for reading. All bathrooms are fitted with blow dryers, high quality bath towels, and luxury toiletries.
A wide variety of outside activities including a heated saltwater swimming pool, hard surface tennis court, lawn for croquet, boules court, badminton, and table tennis.
Space to roam and explore. 100 acres of grounds for hiking, running and biking
On site spa facilities with options including professional massages, reflexology, Ayurvedic massage, and more.
We will be staying at Chateau de Bardouly. A 17th-century country estate in Southwest France, Chateau de Bardouly is outside the city of Bergerac which is located between the larger cities of Bordeaux and Toulouse. Its meticulously maintained residence and park are the essence of stillness and seclusion. Bardouly was built in the reign of Henry IV and is situated halfway up a limestone hill above the Dropt River. This Perigordian Chateau brims with the charm and nobility of its 400 years of existence.
The house maintains its original features including a paneled dining room that was installed by the same artisan that completed the state rooms at Versailles. Michel de Montaigne’s historic estate is nearby where he wrote extensively about the area and other topics in his famous ‘Essays’. Many illustrious visitors spent time at Bardouly throughout the 20th century such as Charles de Gaulle and John D. Rockefeller. The current owners purchased the estate in 1999 and fully renovated the home, employing local artisans to preserve the integrity of the original chateau.
The grounds include a heated swimming pool, hard-surface tennis court and 100 acres of protected woodlands. Castles, medieval villages and historical sites dot the surrounding countryside. The region also offers many outdoor activities, world-famous vineyards, restaurants and music.
Elle magazine named Bardouly in their top Yoga Retreats in France review.
The retreat is open to students of all levels. Since there are so many things to do on this retreat, it is a great opportunity to bring along friends or family who may not be interested in the daily yoga practices but who would be inspired by a trip to Southwest France.
Optional Excursions and/or Add Ons:
ENJOY THE OUTDOORS:
- CANOEING: Canoeing is available on the Dordogne and Vezere Rivers. Journey past historic villages, medieval castles and our lovely rural countryside.
- CYCLING AND HIKING: The area is world-famous for cycling and hiking holidays and is even on the Tour de France route.
- STAND UP PADDLE BOARD: Paddle boarding is a major sport on the Dordogne River. Calm inlets for doing yoga on your board.
- KAYAKING: Test your skills through the rapids and varying flows of the Dordogne River.
- GOLFING: World class Arnold Palmer course is a 15-minute drive from Bardouly.
- HOT-AIR BALLOONING: The flights are a thrilling experience and a fantastic way to view the breathtaking Dordogne landscape.
- HORSEBACK RIDING: Take a ballade through the countryside to soak up its beauty.
- BEACHES AND SWIMMING: The shores of the Dordogne River offer sandy beaches with lifeguards.
- SURFING: Le Mascaret is a tidal bore that occurs on the Dordogne River. Surfers from around the world come to ride this rare phenomenon.
- BIRDWATCHING: The Dordogne sits under a major migration path. See a variety of species unique to Southwest France.
THE CULTURAL DORDOGNE:
- UNESCO SITES: Fifteen sites of the Vézère Valley were listed as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1979.
- THE HANGING GARDENS OF MARQUEYSSAC: Visitors to this historical monument will be delighted by fifty-four acres of park and a six-kilometer maze of 150,000 hand-pruned boxwoods. The belvedere, 130 meters above the Dordogne River, offers a spectacular panoramic view of the Dordogne Valley.
- CASTLES AND VILLAGES: The historic villages of the Dordogne, renowned for their beauty and impressive architecture, span the Middle Ages, Renaissance and the 18th and 19th centuries. The most famous castles of the region are Domme, Castelnaud, Beynac, Fayrac and La Roque-Gageac.
- THE CAVES OF LASCAUX: These caves display among the most stunning and consequential images from the Palaeolithic era. An additional 50 caves, shelters and burial sites are located nearby.
- ANTIQUES AND BROCANTE SHOPPING: The Dordogne Region is recognized globally for its extensive antique trade.
WINE TOURS AND MARKET TOWNS:
- WINE TOURS: The local Route des Vins — an essential for your visit includes one hundred and forty estates (domaines, clos and châteaux) of the highest quality wine makers
- ISSIGEAC – MEDIEVAL TOWN WITH RESTORED GOTHIC CHURCH. This moated town hosts the most famous market in the area on Sunday mornings. You can’t beat the fabulous goodies on offer.
- EYMET – GEM OF THE LOCAL MEDIEVAL BASTIDE TOWNS. This historic Bastide at Bardouly’s doorstep boasts a castle and magnificent cathedral. Bars, restaurants, brocantes and shops offer a pleasant afternoon or evening out. The market takes place on Thursday mornings and Tuesday evenings.
- BERGERAC – CAPITAL OF THE SOUTHWEST PERIGORD. This is the region’s largest city, with many great restaurants, shops and theaters The market is held every Saturday morning.
- SARLAT – LARGEST MARKET TOWN IN THE REGION. This is the most famous market town in the Dordogne. It dates back to the 14th century and stands out for its major historical sites and stunning architecture. The market is held every Friday morning.
- Shared Room + Private Bathroom (2 twin beds that can also be combined to make a bigger shared bed, 2 people per room, each room has a private bathroom) $2300 per person for 2 twin beds or $4400/couple for a shared bed.
- Shared Room For a Couple + Private Bathroom (1 double bed, 2 people per room, has private bathroom) $4400/couple
- Private Room + Private Bathroom (1 single bed, 1 person per room, has private bathroom) $2630/person
- Deluxe Private Room + Shared Bathroom (1 double bed, 1 person per room with shared hallway bathroom) $2690
Retreat Price Includes: 7 nights’ accommodation + all linen + towels; twice-daily yoga classes, 3 delicious meals per day, unlimited water and herbal tea throughout the day; wine tasting night; use of common rooms, salt water swimming pool, tennis court, lawn and estate grounds; WIFI, transfers to and from Chateau de Bardouly at the start and finish of the retreat (there will be one scheduled pick up and drop off only for the entire group. Any transfers outside of this are not included).
Retreat Price does NOT include: airfare, optional excursions/activities, any meals outside of Chateau de Bardouly, travel insurance, massages and holistic treatments, other travel expenses, transfers from airport/train station to pick-up meeting point in Bergerac. Transportation fees to and from optional activities not on the estate.
Please use the button on the right to pay your $500 deposit to secure your spot in the retreat.
Once you reserve your spot in the retreat, you will receive an email:
- With more details about how to get to the retreat. If flying from the United States you may want to consider flyiong to Charles de Gaulle, then transfer to a flight to Bordeaux . The flight from Paris to Bordeaux is just over an hour. If stopping in central Paris take a fast train from Gare Montparnasse to Bordeaux or Libourne. Then take a train to Bergerac station or a car directly to Bardouly. Or fly to London. Spend the night in London, then take the 12.15 Ryanair flight from London Stansted to Bergerac. The flight is one hour and 20 minutes. Bergerac Airport is approximately a 20-minute drive to Bardouly.
- Comprehensive packing list and travel tips for our retreat.
- Instructions on how your balance can be paid (including dates and how to pay online or by check)
Joie de Vivre: France Retreat Deposit$500 deposit secures your spot in the retreat
Please note that the $500 deposit is non-refundable and secures your spot for the retreat. For the October 19 – 26, 2019 retreat, full payment is due by August 1, 2019. If you have paid in full by April 15th, 2019 and need to cancel, we will offer you a full refund (not including the deposit). If you need to cancel between 4/15/19 and 8/1/19 we will issue a refund (not including the deposit) and you will be charged a 10% cancel fee. As we need to pay the retreat center in advance, no refunds will be given for cancellations later than August 1, 2019.
TRAVEL INSURANCE: We recommend that you get travel insurance in case of any life situation that may alter your plans. Check out travelinsure.com, insuremytrip.com, or any other option provided by your credit card, airline or travel company.