Our Approach to Yoga
At Sellwood Yoga, we are committed to being a welcoming and respectful studio for everyone. We have a non-dogmatic approach and believe that there are many valuable traditions, styles, and practices of yoga. Therefore, we offer a variety of styles and classes so that individual students may find the best classes for them, and our teachers can teach using their own unique and authentic voices.
Many of our classes contain teachings that draw from the more traditional roots of yoga, while also representing the current yoga disciplines of today. Our teachers all understand the personal nature of yoga, and we encourage students to feel safe and supported above all else.
Yoga Classes at Sellwood Yoga and Align Fitness
Students new or newer to yoga may enjoy more foundational, slower, or gentler classes. For example,Yoga Basics teaches the basics of common poses and sequences. Yin Yoga involves holding gentle, nourishing poses for longer periods, and Gentle and Restorative Yoga involves the use of props and supports, so students can deeply relax and do gentle stretching.
Mellow Vinyasa Flow, Vinyasa Flow, and Strong Vinyasa classes focus on breath and movement integration and a variety of poses, sequences, and styles.
Be sure to check the schedule to see what is currently offered.
Who Is Yoga For?
Students of all ages, sizes, and levels are welcome and encouraged to attend classes. There is something for everyone at Sellwood Yoga, and you can start practicing yoga at any level of flexibility or fitness.
People report experiencing a variety of benefits after practicing yoga even just after a few classes. You may feel less stressed, and the benefits accrue with a long-term, regular practice.
Yoga builds strength, stability, flexibility, and stamina, and it can prepare you for (or support you in) other forms of movement and exercise. Yoga also includes elements of mindfulness and breath awareness that work wonders in terms of relaxation and stress relief. It can provide you with tools to achieve more peace and well-being in every facet of your life.
What Are the Benefits of Yoga?
Some of the Physical Benefits of Yoga:
- Increases flexibility, balance, and range of motion
- Increases muscle strength and tone
- Improves posture and protects your spine
- Boosts your immune system
- Improves bone health and prevents joint and cartilage break down
- Improves respiration, energy, and vitality
- Regulates your adrenal glands
- Helps with cardio and circulatory health
- Enhances athletic performance
- Protects from injury
- Helps to lower blood pressure
Some of the Mental and Emotional Benefits of Yoga:
- Improves mood and sense of well being
- Creates a foundation for a healthy lifestyle
- Enables steady focus and balanced energy
- Releases tension and decreases feelings of stress and unease
- Quells the fluctuations of your mind
- Increases resilience and self-esteem
- Builds awareness and connection with other people and the world
- Encourages self care, reflection, and peace of mind