We are currently offering several of our classes via live stream, allowing you to practice yoga from the comfort of your own home. You can sign up for these classes on our schedule page (you do need to preregister for all classes at this time).
Below, you will find an FAQ specifically for live stream classes. These classes are conducted via Zoom, so prior to attending your first class, please read our Zoom FAQ as well.
We also have a library of recorded live stream classes. You need to have a studio membership (monthly or weekly) and password (changes each Monday) to access those classes. Fill out this form if you would like access to the recorded classes.
Remember: You need to preregister for all live stream classes. There are Zoom “meeting” links associated with each class. Those details are emailed to you when you register, and a reminder is sent 15 minutes before the class starts. The schedule of live stream classes is available here. It’s also viewable on the Mindbody app.
FAQs for Live Stream Classes
Accessing Live Stream Classes
Where can I sign up for your live stream classes?
You can sign up for live stream classes from the schedule on the website and/or by using the Mindbody App. You do need to sign up in advance for each class that you would like to participate in. Once you register for a class, you will receive an email with a link that can be used to access the live stream class.
If you haven’t taken a live stream class with us yet, please make sure to read our Zoom FAQ.
What happens after I register for a live stream class?
After you register for a live stream class, you will get an email and/or text confirmation right away (see example below).
The confirmation email/text will come from email@example.com. Occasionally, these emails may end up in your spam/junk folder. When looking for the follow up email, make sure to also search the spam/junk folder. Better yet, make sure ahead of time that emails from sellwoodyoga.com are set to come to your inbox as “safe” sending addresses. Your email provider should have help documents for how to achieve this.
In preparation for the class, you will need to download and install Zoom (it’s free!) on the device(s) of your choice. Also, please read through our Zoom FAQ prior to attending your first class.
Fifteen minutes before the class is scheduled to begin, you will get a second email and reminder text with details about the class (see example below).
How can I make sure I receive the class link that is sent?
To make sure you receive the emails and/or texts with the correct Zoom “meeting” link for each class:
1. Check your junk/spam folder. Sometimes, the messages may end up somewhere other than the inbox, so please look through junk/spam and other folders. Most email providers have a way for you to mark “safe” senders or add certain senders to your address book. Please consult help documentation specific to your email provider for instructions on how to do this. If you add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book or safe sender list, then the emails should come through to your inbox.
2. Check your Mindbody account settings. Log in to your Sellwood Yoga Mindbody account and make sure that your email address is current AND that you are subscribed to receive our email and/or text updates pertaining to your account, as well as reminders and schedule changes. This step is imperative, as the links for your online classes will be emailed to the address we have on file in your Mindbody account. You will see something like this under the “Personal Information” section of your Mindbody account:
You will get a registration email as soon as you sign up for a class and a reminder message 15 minutes before the class starts (see examples below).
What devices and other types of technology are required for accessing live stream classes? Any tips or recommendations?
1. The live stream classes require Zoom access. Prior to your first class, make sure to download the Zoom app for desktop and/or mobile. If you are not yet familiar with Zoom classes, we highly recommend downloading the Zoom app onto your computer/device well before the class start time, so that you have time to troubleshoot any issues that might present. Click here to read more about our recommendations for getting the most our of your Sellwood Yoga Live Stream Classes via Zoom.
2. We recommend a desktop computer, laptop, or iPad (vs. a phone, if possible) for quality streaming of the classes. Remember you will be watching and listening from whatever device you chose. You will want to position your device so that you can see the screen and hear the audio. There are Zoom controls on your end that have nothing to do with how the instructor controls the class delivery on his/her end. The quality of your audio is dependent on what device you are listening from and how you are listening (straight from that device vs. using a headset, etc.). You may need to turn up the volume on your device as well as on your Zoom controls.
3. Prior to the start of a class, confirm that you’re using your WiFi service vs. your cell service to ensure optimal connectivity (and avoid potential data costs).
4. Bluetooth headphones (ex. AirPods) or a plugged in headset are recommended for better audio quality, unless you have your computer/laptop hooked up to external speakers.
Pricing for Live Stream Classes
How much are the live stream classes?
Current prices are $15 for a single class or $25/week for an unlimited pass. There’s also an option to purchase a 5 pack for $65 (1 month expiration).
You can purchase the weekly pass here.
With our Live Stream Weekly Membership, you will have unlimited weekly access to our live stream classes. Your membership automatically renews each week until you notify us that you need or want to cancel.
Please note: With this membership plan, your credit card will be charged once a week. Your membership will automatically renew until we receive a email notice of cancellation. You may request a cancellation/termination with 3 days advance notice by emailing email@example.com.
I have a 5 or 10 class pass with Sellwood Yoga. Can I use that to pay for the live stream classes?
We froze the “punch pass” style of passes (ex. 5 and 10 class pass) on March 16, 2020, when we had to close our doors to in-studio group classes. Our plan is to add time to the expiration dates of those passes once we can open up again. The time added on will be at least equivalent to the number of days we were closed, most likely with more time added on.
In the meantime, you have two options for your class pass:
Leave your pass frozen and pay separately for live stream classes. We will add time to your pass when we open back up.
Unfreeze your pass now to use for the live stream classes. By unfreezing your pass, we will not add on time to the expiration date.
If you want to go with Option 2 (unfreezing your pass now), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what class you want to participate in. We will unfreeze your pass, add you to the roster, and confirm the details with you.
I have a monthly unlimited membership with Sellwood Yoga. Can I use that to pay for the live stream classes?
As of March 16, 2020, when we closed the studios, we also “froze” the monthly memberships. Our plan is to unfreeze them when we are open for in-studio classes. Once they are unfrozen, we will add time (plus a little extra) to the memberships, along with a few other thank you gifts.
Please note: When we say we “froze” the monthly memberships, we mean we just “froze the time period from March 16th onward.” It does not mean your monthly autopay payment has been automatically frozen or canceled.
You have several options for what to do with your monthly memberships while the studio is closed. Please see the details below.
Live Stream Payment Options for Active or Suspended Monthly Memberships
For monthly memberships that are active or suspended, we have a few options for those who want to take the live stream classes:
Option 1: Unfreeze your membership so that you can use it for live stream classes. Email email@example.com, and we will unfreeze your membership and send you a confirmation along with details about how to access the live stream classes + our collection of recorded classes.
Option 2: Keep your membership frozen and pay for the live stream classes separately. You continue to pay your monthly membership payment and also pay individually for each live stream class you take. When we reopen, we will add the equivalent time we were closed (plus a little extra) to the memberships, along with a few other thank you gifts.
Option 3: Suspend your membership. Let us know that you would like to “pause” your monthly autopay. It will restart when we reopen at your current membership rate. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like us to suspend your membership.
Remember, if you would like to do either Options 1 or 3, please email email@example.com and let us know. We will take care of your request and email you a confirmation, along with any further instructions.
How do I cancel or suspend my monthly membership?
If you want to cancel or suspend your monthly membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which option you would like from the list below:
Option 1: Terminate your monthly membership
All future payments on your monthly membership will be canceled going forward. You can rejoin as a monthly member once we reopen, but you will not be guaranteed your current membership price. We thank you for your membership and hope you will rejoin once we reopen, and in the meantime, we hope you will take the live stream classes.
Option 2: Suspend your monthly membership
This will suspend your membership as well as cancel all future autopay payments until we reopen. Once we reopen, your membership will automatically restart under your current agreement. Please understand we can’t give any refunds for any of last month’s autopay payments at this time.
Practicing at Home
How do I set up my practice space?
Please give yourself enough time to get your practice space set up to maximize your comfort and minimize distractions:
- Set up a yoga mat or something else that you can sit, stand and lay down on, preferably on a surface that is not slippery (especially for standing poses).
- Be creative about props. While they are not necessary for most of the live stream classes, they may be helpful. See the FAQ below for some prop ideas.
- Dress in layers and have whatever you need for resting/savasana nearby.
- Turn off notifications, and let anyone who is sharing space with you know that you will be practicing.
- Have whatever else you need within arm’s reach: water, tea, reading glasses, etc.
I don't have yoga props. What can I use?
- Towels, blankets, cushions, and pillows can be used as padding for your knees, back, head, etc.
- Sturdy objects such as chairs, benches, sofas, and tables can help for balance, steadiness, taking a break, etc.
- Scarves, belts, bungee cords, dog leashes, or thick rope can be used in lieu of a yoga strap.
- Canned food, jars, books, or low tables can be used in lieu of yoga blocks.
- A washcloth, scarf, or sleeve of a long-sleeved shirt can be used instead of an eye pillow to cover your eyes.
It's been a while since I have practiced. Any suggestions?
Just like with in-person classes, give yourself permission to rest when you need a break. Move into Child’s Pose or some other restful position and rejoin when you can. You know your body, so modify when necessary.
I am used to the instructor walking around the class, offering hands-on assists, etc. How does live stream instruction work?
Your instructor will always be in front of the camera. As they are alone in the studio, you will not see another “classmate” demonstrating the poses. Your instructor will do that. You will see a combination of the instructor doing the full sequence with you, doing part of the sequence, or sitting still in front of the camera guiding you through the sequence. With all methods, and just like our in-person classes, your instructor will maintain their high standards of descriptive, verbal, alignment-based instruction to assist you in your pose. Their instructions should be clear enough that you can mainly follow along by listening and then watching/looking whenever you need or want to.
Will the live stream classes have music?
Your instructor will not be playing any music during class. You can cue up your favorite playlist and enjoy your own music in the privacy of your space. Some instructors will send recommended playlists that you can access if you want to match up their music suggestions with your practice.
I have a New Student Starter Pass with Sellwood Yoga. Can I use that to pay for the live stream classes?
We froze New Student Starter Passes on March 16, 2020, when we had to close our doors to in-studio group classes. At this time, New Student Starter Passes cannot be used for live stream classes, as we feel that it’s important for new students to experience the studio and classes in person. Our plan is to add time to the expiration dates of those passes once we can open up again.
Is there any other way I can support the studio during this time?
Remember that we are a family owned and operated small business. Like other local businesses, this is a time of intensity, challenge and hardship. We, just like you, are going through additional stress, uncertainty, anxiety, and all the other emotions associated with grief, hardship, loss, and fear. Please weather this storm with us in the capacity that feels right to you. We want to reopen, gather and practice together again (in real life), and continue to serve our community.
You can support us by prepaying for classes/passes to be used when we reopen for in-studio classes. Remember that the expiration dates for any new purchases do not kick in until the passes are actually used. You can also by gift cards (in any amount) for yourself or others by clicking here.